ISO 50001 is a voluntary international standard developed by ISO, the International Organization for Standardization. ISO 50001 applies to organisations at any size, and provides requirements for establishing, managing and improving their energy consumption and efficiency.
ISO 50001 is compatible with other recognized management systems, such as ISO 14001 and ISO 9001.
The ISO 50001 standard aims to:
- Assist organisations in improving energy efficiency, energy use and consumption
- Create transparency and facilitate communication on the management of energy resources
- Promote energy management best practices and behaviors
- Assist facilities in evaluating and prioritizing the implementation of new energy-efficient technologies
- Provide a framework for promoting energy efficiency throughout the supply chain
- Facilitate energy management improvements for greenhouse gas emission reduction projects
- Allow integration with other organisational management systems such as environmental, and health and safety
Why certify to ISO 50001?
Certifying your energy management system to the ISO 50001 standard may benefit your organisation in many ways. A certified management system confirms that you are working structured and strategically to reduce the organisation’s environmental footprint, and that you are committed to further improvement of environmental management.
Certification to the standard can contribute to:
- Improvement of energy performance, including energy efficiency, use and energy consumption
- Reducing environmental impact, including greenhouse gas emissions without affecting operations and simultaneously increasing profitability
- Continual improvement of the energy management systems
- Ensuring measurement, documentation, reporting and benchmarking of energy consumption
- Credible market communication about energy performance efforts
How can we help you?
DNV GL - Business Assurance is an accredited third party certification body. We provide relevant training and certification services for your energy management system worldwide. As in all management system standards, successful implementation depends on commitment from all levels and functions of the organisation. To prepare, see our guide on the road to certification.