FSSC 22000 - Animal Feed & Ingredients
Animal feed and feed ingredients impact the safety of the end product. The FSSC 22000 standard is applicable to single ingredients, compound feed and premix manufacturing. The standard is developed to guarantee the safety impact of feed on the end products.
Animal feed has a direct influence on the quality and safety of food of animal origin. Consumers of meat, milk, fish, and eggs expect the industry and retailers to supply safe, high quality products.
FSSC 22000 ensures food safety based on these generally recognised key elements:
- Interactive communication: A structured informative flow to guarantee effective control of hazards.
- System management: To control the interaction between the system’s elements.
- Prerequisite programmes: GMP, as detailed in the animal feed specific PAS 222.
- HACCP principles: The basic methodology to plan safe production processes which are appropriate for every individual company, without unnecessary bureaucracy.
Why is certification good for my business?
Demonstrable and transparent quality assurance constitutes a license to produce. Certification shows your commitment to a set of globally recognised principles, opening the global market:
- Food safety has a high priority
- HACCP is a proactive approach which links the feed chain to the food chain
- Quality control of raw materials is a mutual concern for suppliers and the animal feed industry
- Communicate confidence to your customers
- Prove that all reasonable precautions have been taken
- Reduce product waste and product recall
- Improve relations with the food safety authorities
How can I prepare for certification?
Companies that plan well will often have an advantage and be prepared for certification. It is important that you and your company are positive, committed, and set clear target dates for implementation and assessment. This includes:
- Establishing a quality management system
- Identifying legal requirements
- Identifying and documenting the specific feed safety hazards
- Identifying the applicable Good Manufacturing Practice/Good Hygiene Practice
- Implement any needed structural improvements
Why partner with us?
Within the food and beverage industry, we help customers worldwide to achieve excellence in food safety and quality, environmental management, supply chain management and product sustainability. We combine technical, digital and industry expertise to empower companies’ decisions and actions. Partnering with our customers, we build sustainable business performance and create stakeholder trust.