ISO 45001 - Occupational Health & Safety
Demonstrate your commitment to health and safety at work and provide assurance that legal compliance is effectively managed.
Health and safety at work affects all businesses. Implementing an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system is now a legal requirement in many countries. Additionally, companies are increasingly required to report on their health and safety performance. This makes it vital to demonstrate that your organisation delivers on its policy commitments.
Independent assessment and certification of your occupational health and safety management system proves that you have a system in place for assuring compliance. Certification to an internationally recognised management system standard demonstrates that you are working to provide safe and healthy workplaces for Workers and Others, by preventing work-related injury and ill-health and that you are proactively working to improve your OH&S performance.
What is ISO 45001?
ISO 45001 is based on OHSAS 18001 and other recognised OH&S standards and conventions. It applies the ISO High Level Structure (HLS), which defines the structure for all ISO standards. The new standard contains some significant changes from OHSAS 18001 with greater emphasis on Workers and Consultations.
Due to ISO 45001 following the High Level Structure (HLS), applying the new standard for occupational health and safety within the ISO framework will be much easier to integrate, providing a great advantage for companies already certified to other ISO standards such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
ISO 45001 is now the internationally accepted standard for OH&S management systems. It is applicable to any type of organisation – large or small – within any business sector. It provides a framework based on the well-established management principles of Plan-Do-Check-Act. It requires the organisation to identify the hazards and assess the occupational health and safety risks related to its activities and services, determine the necessary controls and to set clear objectives and targets to improve on its OH&S performance.
Why is certification good for my business?
There are several benefits of applying ISO 45001, but the most significant are tangible and demonstrable improvements in OH&S performance and a greater level of control in the area of legal compliance.
ISO 45001 certification enables your organization to:
- Establish and continually improve an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimize risk to personnel and other interested parties who could be exposed to OH&S hazards associated with your activities or services.
- Work systematically to achieve improvements in occupational health and safety performance and prevent (re)occurrence of accidents and incidents.
- Assure its conformance with its stated OH&S policy and demonstrate such conformance to others.
- Continually comply with applicable OH&S legal requirements.
- Actively engages Leadership commitment to demonstrate active involvement and support across the organisation, similar to that of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
Where do I go from here?
Whether you are already certified to OHSAS 18001 and wish to migrate, or are looking for a new certification of your OH&S management system, DNV GL can support you.